News and Announcements


We know that this has been a difficult time for clubs and coaches in this time of uncertainty.

The BCSSA Treasurer has put together a resource to help guide clubs and paid staff with information on the financial options provided out there.

Please follow the link below to access the PDF with this information on it.

The document Coach_EI_Information.pdf was attached to this post.

Update from the BCSSA Board of Directors

Posted by Kat Coatesworth at Apr 4, 2020 11:55AM PDT ( 0 Comments )

Update from our Board of Directors:

The BCCSA Board met on April 2 and discussed the upcoming season, including actions that we can initiate and what the season could look like.
The Board has committed to meet weekly so we can stay abreast of this constantly changing situation.

We are waiting for information to come back to us but in the meantime we can tell you that we will not be holding a traditional competitive championship meet at UBC this year.

We will be distributing information to all clubs and coaches to help them make decisions about supporting our coaches this season. We are also investigating and planning an online program of dry land activities that our athletes can take part in while we await permission to get back in the water.

We expect to receive the information we need to make some more decisions by mid week and will distribute a newsletter to all members at that time.

Yours in swimming,
Danny Schilds
President, BCSSA


Covid-19 Update for March 27, 2020

Physical Distance – Avoid Contact with Others
Stay Home – Stay Fit at Home

The BC Summer Swimming Association staff and Board of Directors want to THANK all the BCSSA swimmers, parents, coaches, officials and clubs for their efforts to be vigilant and help in reducing the spread of COVID-19 and protecting each other. Your feedback, suggestions, and recommendations are greatly appreciated and help us in addressing the challenges we all face as we navigate the current situation and provide information to all members.

The Board met on March 26 and discussed the ever changing world we find ourselves in at the moment. We will continue to meet on a weekly basis to review the situation and make decisions regarding our swim season, meets, championships, and more.

We are hopeful that this summer swimming season will proceed in a regular manner but are also mindful of the rapidly changing global situation we find ourselves in and know that we must consider all the possible outcomes.

We will continue to meet weekly and will communicate with membership on Fridays. You can look for updates from us on April 3, 10, and 17.

Summer Season 2020 – Timelines and decisions

BCSSA recognizes that clubs and members are anxious to have confirmation on our 2020 Summer swimming season sooner rather than later. In our current fluid global environment, these decisions with their long-term financial ramifications are difficult to make and, as such, we have determined key dates on which to make strategic planning decisions.

April 2, 9, 16: Planned Special Board meetings to review Covid-19 scenarios (each to be confirmed at each previous meeting);
April 3, 10, 17: Communication to membership regarding outcomes of meetings.

Deadlines for the BCSSA Board regarding this season
April 15: Decision deadline for traditional May 1 season start date
May 1: Decision deadline for initiating a modified 2020 summer swimming season with a traditional Provincial Championships held at UBC.
May 15: Decision deadline for initiating a modified 2020 summer swimming season with a simulated Provincial Championships run Regionally.

Please know that, despite our best efforts and continual monitoring of information sources, nothing is set in stone due to this rapidly changing situation… we are doing the best we can to predict an unknown future!

Please exercise patience and kindness as we move forward together (yet apart!)

More information can be found on the BCSSA release

“It’s a Fluid Situation” “This action is unprecedented.” “We are in a marathon.” “Social Distancing.”

So many new phrases in our language that we just haven’t used to this extent before. And we have only been using them for just over a week.

As an organization and as individuals, we have to realize that the Covid-19 drama we are all part of, is new to everyone, the situation is fluid, and it is evolving daily.

Just over a week ago the BCSSA Board made the decision to cancel the Coaching Conference. At that time, Tuesday, March 10th, groups of up to 150 were deemed ok by the health officials. Two days later, groups of less than 50 were recommended, then less than 20, and now, try not to be in any group at all. On the 10th there was no hint that borders would be closed, flights cancelled, every major sport cancelled and a litany of swimming meets, including the Canadian Olympic Trials, postponed.

My point is, we do not know what tomorrow will bring, what recommendations will come forward from Dr. Henry, when swimming pools will be opened or for that matter, when the border will be opened.

The current situation leaves us with some big questions.

Will the season open on May 1st?
Will we have a regular season?
Will there be a Provincial Championships this year?
What about our coaching staff if we are limited to small groups or no groups at all?

The short answer is, NO ONE knows. The situation is changing so rapidly that only a fool would make predictions. By the end of April, we know that we will be in a completely different situation than what we are in now, we just don’t know what that situation will look like.

The BCSSA Board is in communication with each other.

We are watching and waiting. And the waiting is the hard part. Waiting will be our hardest task but with reference to the season and our sport, it is what we have to do.

In the meantime, there are some things we can do:

Take care of yourself and your families, including your swim family.
We recommend that all clubs postpone their paid registrations until we are closer to May 1st.
A Board Member is talking to Active about their refund policy yet these talks are difficult with so many businesses now closed or on a work from home regimen but in the meantime, postpone any paid registrations.
Stay in communication with your City Recreation Dept but remember, they can’t predict what is going to happen.
Plan for the season but be aware, the season could be shortened, or modified.

The BCSSA Board of Directors will communicate any information we learn and will be giving decisions or recommendations in late April about the upcoming season.

Our swimming world is not alone in the trials we are facing. Our whole country, our whole world, is facing the same difficulties.

In the meantime, take care of yourself and your family.

Danny Shilds,

President, BC Summer Swimming Association

Covid-19 Update Regarding Coaches Conference

Posted by Kat Coatesworth at Mar 13, 2020 12:06PM PDT

Due to concerns about the global spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) the BCSSA Board has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 BCSSA Coaches Conference. All those who have already registered will be issued full refunds as soon as possible.

Board President Danny Schilds commented today, “First and foremost is the safety of the community, the athletes and their families. We continue to monitor this rapidly changing situation and will be looking at alternative means of supporting coach education and development in BC.”

The BCSSA will continue to monitor the Provincial Health Authorities for guidance on activities and events, and will provide updates. The Regional Page will continue to share as much information as possible and please also continue to check the BCSSA website at for news and communications on an ongoing basis.

Ross is proactively working with each team in our Region to undertake risk assessments and develop potential mitigation plans for holding Meets to look out for the well being of all of our membership and still leave opportunities open for our children.

For more information about the coronaviruses (COVID19), please visit the WHO website at